Monday, October 4, 2010

Karma & Religion

These are helpful thoughts exposing the folly of Karma and Religion from a message on the Lord's Prayer by Mark Driscoll Pastor of Mars Hill Church

Imagine that every month God sent you a letter of your outstanding debt…

“Here’s all the sins you’ve ever committed…here’s how in debt you are…

Oh, and by the way, that thought you had at 3 am, I saw that…I’m up at 3…you don’t believe Me…there’s another one (not believing God)…”

You’d think…”I’ve got to do something about this debt!”

“I know…I’ll try Karma…”

Karma makes no sense at all…It says you did a bunch of bad things so come back (for another try in another life)…and do more bad things…that will fix it!?

You see if you sin, die, and come back and sin some more, that doesn’t pay off your debt…it adds to it. All you are going to do is add to your debt! Karma doesn’t make any sense, because if people were working off their Karma, there should be fewer and fewer people…but the population is growing! (Karma doesn't make any sense).

So then what if you try (being) religious…Some people think this way…

"I’m going to go to church… and become very religious… and I am going to stop sinning… I am never going to sin again.”

Then you realize…”Man, I can’t stop sinning. And even if I think I stop sinning, then I (discover that I) am being religious, and that too sin (self trust, self sufficiency, and self righteousness)! So how do I deal with my debt?”

No comments:

Post a Comment