Friday, October 15, 2010

Plan to Stop Not Evangelizing Part 9

Look. Have you ever prayed for something and then been surprised when it comes? I know I have. And I guess that means I really must not have been expecting God to answer that prayer request. It may be the same with my evangelism. Maybe I've prayed for opportunities but then not really looked for them. Perhaps I've careless when they've come.

The way I've been careless can vary. Sometimes I don't see the opportunities because I'm busy. Evangelism can, after all, be time consuming and inconvenient. Or maybe I'm too tired. Perhaps I've used up all my energy on entertaining myself, or working, or on everything other than this non-Christian whom I could talk to. And therefore I don't even notice the opportunity.

Maybe my neglect of opportunities is more habitual. Maybe I'm lazy, caring more that I not be hassled or hurried than that this person hears the gospel. Maybe, when it comes right down to it, I'm simply selfish. I don't see the opportunities because I'm willing to be inconvenienced. I guess that means that I am, finally, apathetic. My blindness to God's provision is voluntary. I don't consider the reality and finality of death, judgment, and hell. So I don't notice the reality of the person and their plight before me. We must not only close our eyes in prayer for opportunities, but we must then open our eyes to see them.
Mark Dever (The Gospel & Personal Evangelism)

1 comment:

  1. Pastor Greg -
    Not directly on topic for this entry but Cindy I were looking at the following passages this morning:

    Matt 10:14 “And whoever does not receive you, nor heed your words, as you go out of that house or that city, shake off the dust of your feet.”

    Mark 6:11 “And any place that does not receive you or listen to you, as you go out from there, shake off the dust from the soles of your feet for a testimony against them.”

    Luke 9:5 “And as for those who do not receive you, as you go out from that city, shake off the dust from your feet as a testimony against them.”

    One of the things I struggle with is sharing the gospel message with certain individuals and feeling the rejection/lack of progress. Where's the discerning point of when to stop sharing with an individual and trusting God's plan for that individual regardless of our involvement?

    Thanks

    Jeromy

    ReplyDelete